Many parents ask us about our beliefs and principles, which is an essential question to ask before you hire a sleep consultant or parenting expert or follow a book on the subject. You want to make sure before you start implementing any sleep strategy or parenting advice, that you share the principles with the experts giving you the advice.
In Smooth Parenting we believe:
- Parents should promote and support the physical, emotional, social, and intellectual development of their children from babyhood to adulthood.
- Children must know that they are unconditionally loved and that their parents will always be there for them.
- Children must feel happy, respected, valued, loved, acknowledged, safe and protected in order to thrive and achieve their potential in life.
- The dignity and rights of children must be respected.
- Sleeping, eating and exercising are basic needs for babies and children.
- Consistency and team work are key in order to be successful at parenting.
- We believe that babies and children thrive when their lives are organized and when they know what’s expected of them.
- An ‘structured routine’ adapted to each family’s individual circumstances is essential to create a chaos-free and stress free home.
- Every child is unique, special and should be treated as such.
- There’s always a reason/motivation/cause for children to cry, protest, misbehave, be aggressive… and that in order to solve that behavior, parents need to discover it and solve it.
- It is important for parents to model appropriate behavior and to establish expectations as well as limits.
- Physical punishment or disciplining techniques are never the right way to go.
Our parenting techniques promote independence, self-esteem, self-assurance, open communication, love, empowerment and self-improvement. We respect and follow the guidelines provided by the American Association of Pediatrics.
We know that our approach and methods are effective, and although not always easy to implement, we will be there with the parents every step of the way.